Tuesday 23 June 2015

Other ideas


I came across the photograph of the blue/magenta girl (second picture, top row), and it got me thinking that I could experiment with different colours on the skin to make something interesting. I originally wanted to do something on the skin that looked like markings of some sort, as that features in a lot of alien representations of characters. I could also use different textures combined with different colours to create something otherworldly. I had another idea as well that I could explore, which is demonstrated by the Alberto Seveso image, of having an incomplete form, parts of a figure that are there and parts that are not.

Taking inspiration from the image on the bottom right, I started designing another character, also influenced by DotA's Ancient Apparition (image below by hphu from DeviantART).


Below are my attempts to create a character that is based on the universe, something of a god. I kept with the human form for the top half and then decided to have a less human bottom half, as this character is supposed to be a creator, so is denser near the top of the torso. Here is a step by step process of the creation: 




I thought this looked alright, but there was something still too human and boring about it, so I decided to extend it and make it a full body, and change the hands to something less human.


I still thought it was lacking something, so I added a belt (like Saturn's) around the head, as I did not want to add any facial features. 



Seeing as this character is meant to be some kind of powerful creator, I thought he could have some sort of life flow and be creating a planet or something, somewhat inspired by the tree of life, particularly this image: 



So I tried to draw this kind of energy rising from the fragments and flowing through the body to the fingertips. However, I am not too happy with this as it looks quite untidy and maybe too chaotic. 
 I tried a more subtle colour, but still feel that it is too hectic.


I do prefer this version as it is more simpler and clearer, but want to add some sort of glow under the segments and maybe a slight hint of energy flowing to create this planet. The claws are also something that I need to rethink, as it gives the character a negative appearance.

I decided to experiment with him creating a plant, as we as humans can relate more to the creation of plants than planets as it is something we see here on Earth, however I did not like the look of it compared.


 Eventually I just refined the vein-like things and made them cleaner and fewer, as well as making the hands less claw-like and more human. I am now quite happy with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment